We had an email from a member who wanted to enter a chapter from her memoir in a short story contest and asked us whether we knew of any such contests. A little research turned up quite a few of these competitions, both with entry fees and without, so I thought I’d post them here on the blog in case others of you would like to see whether your work can earn you money and accolades. Check right away, because some of these deadlines are approaching.
- This page lists a bunch of contests: http://www.writers-editors.com/Writers/Contests/contests.htm
- Here’s another long list, and then you’ll have to google the name of each contest: http://www.suite101.com/content/first-quarter-2011-short-story-contests-and- awards-for-writers-a326426
- The Gemini Magazine contest: http://www.gemini-magazine.com/contest.html
- The Southeast Review contest: http://southeastreview.org/contests.html
- Some international competitions: http://www.be-a-better-writer.com/creative-writing-contests.html
That should keep everyone busy! You can enter just a chapter from your memoirs or, of course, an entirely separate short story. Please let us know either here or on the WriteMyMemoirs Facebook page if you win something—or even if you enter! We would love to announce your success. And if you would like to publish your story into a small book to hand out, please keep in mind our very affordable publishing services.